Wednesday, July 7, 2010

terapia fisica

Hi, everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I am back from Buenos Aires...It was great! And as soon as I get back to my site, I'll post pictures. I am typing in capital letters again...which means that the cast came off (two days ago) and that I had my second physical therapy session today.

I was a failure yesterday in my first session. I cried partly because of the pain and partly because of self-pity. (And you know it's not pretty when I cry...I ugly cry complete with the loud, shallow breaths and frown.) After my cast came off, I got to see my arm again for the first time in 3 months. It had grown dark, skinny, hairy, and all the skin had started peeling...very were-wolfish. Instead of feeling elated that the cast was gone, I just felt sad that I had hurt myself so badly and exposed myself to danger. I have 3 scars now on that arm--two long ones from the surgery from where they put the bars in another circular one from where the bone had come out after my fall.

But today I decided to cop a new, can-do attitude. I'm making a conscious effort to use my right hand for everything (hence, capital letters again!) and I was even going to tell my physical therapist to use more force when pushing against my limbs. (Ok, that was just silly thinking, because what she did do already hurt so much that I was biting my other arm the whole time to keep from screaming.) I'm still working on extending my arm all the way, regaining use of my wrist and thumb, and turning my palms upward.

I have pictures and I'll post them when I get back up to site two weeks from now. Physical therapy will be a long process and I'll probably continue to do my exercises for months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment