Thursday, July 8, 2010

Que tortura!

I´m trying to be a good patient, really I am, but physical therapy is a nightmare! The extent of the damage that I did is coming out. Normally, people are in a cast for a month after their surgeries. But because I was in it for three, my arm is in really bad shape. I broke into a cold sweat today, screamed like a pregnant woman, and asked my therapist to stop three times from the pain...and it´s only been the third day! It definitely pushes my pain threshold beyond my limits (and that is really saying something after having fallen through a roof).

But on the plus side, as weird as it sounds, it has been an amazing experience to learn how to re-use a limb again. The human body is amazing in recognizing what it should be doing and I´ve been impressed by its progress. Today for the first time, I was able to turn a door knob and touch my thumb to my fore, middle, and ring finger (pinky still lacks). I do my exercises everyday and everywhere...at the store, walking on the street, on the bus, etc.

I know that people may not understand everything I´ve been through; it´s a lot and it´s hard to grasp the experience. But just the support, good wishes, and potential packages of the people are enough. It motivates me to go to physical therapy (even though I really, really don´t want to) simply because people believe that I can recover. So I´m trying not to disappoint. So even when there are less than graceful moments where I beg my therapist to just let me die (dramatic, right?), I try to always think of the positive. I can´t wait to come back to the US next year and show everyone my ¨new¨ arm (and my bad ass scars). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment