Monday, July 19, 2010

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Here's some photos from Buenos Aires. I loved the city so much that I almost did not come back. But, fortunately, I could never afford to live there. People dress so nicely that I did not fit in with my jenky Peace Corps clothes. Case in point, unlike Peru, no one tried to rob me while I was there! In fact, I actually think they held their purses closer to themselves when I walked by! Oh well. After a year of living in Peru, I actually feel more comfortable in poorer places anyway. Being in fancy places makes me feel uncomfortable and like I don't belong.

For one of our outings, we went to a Christian based theme park. It was odd, filled with a bunch of life sized plastic figurines, people dressed up in clothes of that time, and Big Jesuses, including one that rose from the sky while "Hallelujah" blared from the speakers. Odd.
Re-enactment of the last supper. Their plastic heads actually turn side-to-side and up-and-down.


Hallelujah!


Jesus grande!





And then, without meaning to, I went on a Jared diet. I ate Subway so much that even the employees there knew me. In my defense, I think I was just homesick and missed what I don't have in Peru. But, boy, were the sandwiches delicious!


The bed and breakfast that I stayed at was amazing filled with yummy breakfasts every morning and free tango lessons every night. I also took in other dances as well, like watching flamenco shows.


I went on Evita's balcony. Here's what Madonna saw while she belted out her song. (Don't worry, I didn't sing though.)









And then I shopped at Wal-Mart, something that I've also been deprived of. It was like America again that I stayed there for, like, 2 hours. And because I am a starving Peace Corps volunteer, I tried all their free samples twice. He he. I ate ham, crackers, cheese, and drank hot chocolate. You are my utopia, Wal-Mart, and the hour that it took me to get there was worth it.


I also crossed the border to Uruguay (another passport stamp) and spent a day strolling around a colonial town.


The Chinese food in BA, because you know that I had to try other Argentinian cuisines, beside Subways. No worries, I ate gelato and steak for all those other times. Please, no comments about my weight.


Lastly, Mr. Hand and I made the 20 hour bus ride to see Iguazu Falls...Amazing!





Amazing trip overall! If anybody's thinking of going in the near future, my color-coded itinerary is available...filled with things to do, bed-and-breakfasts, and, of course, food!

1 comment:

  1. Hey great pictures, i'm looking for a furnished apartments in buenos aires , do you have any info? or know which is a good zone in the city ?

    ReplyDelete