Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Soy una estrella!

So about the mayor... He came to pick us up and I felt like a big celebrity! (Even though it was only his pick'up truck...and we picked up some hitchiker along the way...but he did have his own driver...and this is Peru, after all!) The horrible thing is that I got really carsick because his driver was driving really fast through all the hairpin turns, but I was able to keep all my vomit in. Funny enough, in the midst of my carsickness, the mayor stopped at a restaurant for lunch and after a plate of Peruvian duck marinated in a beer sauce, I felt loads better.

Anyways, I did have to give a speech later on at a townhall meeting...in front of the general public, while the mayor was present, and with the local television station there. Yep, that´s right...I was on Peruvian TV giving my speech in my broken Spanish! Later my new host family and I watched it on TV and we had a good laugh about it, because apparently, I talk with my hands a lot.

I posted some pics of Cajabamba below. It´s a really interesting place. It´s a mixture of the Peruvian countryside and the beginning of a ¨city.¨ Cajabamba is a town of 8000 people, yet, we have the woods, a coliseum, a market, a jail, bulls just hanging out in someone´s backyard...All in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment