Thursday, August 27, 2009

Estoy bien...No se preocupe

Sorry, I'm fine now. Just had a minor culture shock episode for a minute there, but I've decided the best thing to do is just to integrate myself more into the community. Luckily for me, while I was on a walk yesterday, I just happened to walk by a facility that looked interesting. In the middle of the Peruvian sierra where women are still in traditional dresses, with pigs and other animals in the backyards, it turned out that the facility was a gym...which offered yoga/step aerobic/muai thay/boxing classes...with legit Richards Simmons music...run by a dude who speaks English. Where am I? Here's a recount of that conversation:

  • Katie: [in typical broken Spanish] Hola. Uh...Como estas? Este clase...uh...cuanto cuesta?
  • Peruvian: Can you speak English?
  • Katie: Oh my gaw, yeah, can you?
  • Peruvian: Yeah, it's so weird to find someone who speaks English here.
  • Katie: I KNOW!!!

Anyways, it turns out that he was born in Lima, but lived in Miami for two years. He has now moved to Cajabamba because sierra life is just much more peaceful. I went to his class today and it felt just like home (minus the Latin dance moves that he threw in). Yep, I failed miserably when it comes to moving my hips. I'm Asian...I don't play like that. Anyways, I plan on going back to the class everyday since it costs 1.5 soles for each class (ie $.50). :)

Also, I found a Spanish tutor today who will take me on for three days a week. Hopefully, I'll finally be able to communicate. I also start work pretty soon. I met with the director of a program today and she wants to see a work plan by tomorrow. So I better get working on that. Hope you all are doing well and sorry for the minor breakdown the other day. :)

1 comment:

  1. Aw - breakdowns are ok. We're all human. Good luck putting together a work plan, etc. I know you're going to do great.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete