Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Feliz Dia de Independencia!

Yesterday was Peru's Independence Day (from Spain in 1821?). Anyways, I am posting a picture here of the potluck that we had yesterday. My host family is related to three other families here in Yanacoto and each of those family all host a Peace Corps volunteer.

I don't want to brag (but you know that I secretly want to so here goes). I had the grand idea the day before that us 4 volunteers should prepare a potluck lunch for a get-together with our host families. Hence, each of us prepared 2 to 3 American/Chinese/Mexican/Italian/Jewish dishes...and all in time for their Indepence Day. I made curry lo mein, Fuchi Fu (which is their version of egg drop soup), pb & j sandwiches (cut into elegant triangles), and wine spritzer. (Aren't you impressed that I actually cooked?) The other volunteers made lasagna, taquenos, cheesecake, chili, Jewish potato pancakes, chicken tacos, etc. I think our families were really touched. My host dad made a speech at the end that almost moved me to tears, but I, fortunately, was man enough to hold it in...until later.

Our time in Yanacoto has suddenly become very limited due to the fact that we'll be moving to our permanent sites in a matter of weeks. As such, we just wanted to show them our appreciation. It dawned on me the other day how much changes we've gone through. We've moved to a foreign country, have done our best to adjust to life here, new language, new people, traveling to various locales...and all this is a matter of weeks! Whew! Fortunately, our host families have really made things so much easier...They continue to pack my lunch everyday and even wash my dirty socks and underwear...EWWWW!!!! As such, I hope they enjoyed their Americanized independence day!

1 comment:

  1. Aw - yay! This sounds like a lot of fun! And yes, it all does seem like quite a lot going on in a very short amount of time! Good going!

    You should respond about which address to send your stuff to, and whether the 1 pound limit for packages is very strict, or whether we should separate items into packages less than 1 pound.

    Thanks!
    your sister

    ReplyDelete