Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I´m traveling again...

Next week is field based training, which means that we´ll be on the move again. My group and I will be traveling to Cajamarca, Peru, for one week to get more hands on training. We´re leaving on Saturday and taking an 11 hour bus ride from Lima to Cajamarca.

You can´t tell by the map, but the ride will be up through the mountains, etc. Cajamarca is in the sierra and there is even a hot springs there. (I looked it up and I think I´ll finally have a hot shower there! Well, at the springs anyway but not at the hostel.)

Besides training, we also have other activities planned such as a 2 hour hike up the terrains and an overnight camping trip.

The best way that I can sum up my Peace Corps journey so far is this: Imagine planning a trip to somewhere foreign, where you feel completely out of place. Everything that you see and sense is new and different. Even a mundane trip to the market turns into a learning experience. As much as I have missed the US, I am still in awe that I am in Peru and that I get to call this my life. Wow!

If you talk to my father, please reassure him each time that you see him that I am ok. I have only been able to speak to him once and he doesn´t get access to this blog. I´m always worried that he´s worried. :(

Take care, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Aw - you've done SO much in the time that I have done so little comparatively! This is really exciting. I admired that you have such a good relationship with our father. Even though he and I don't live that far apart from one another, I just feel like we aren't close at all. I'm sure he misses you a lot, that's all.

    Oh - speaking of which, your sister took your father horseback riding on father's day. I think he had a really fun time. Your sister has photos, and I'll ask her (or Josh) to post them online so you can see them. He looks really happy!

    The hiking and camping sound great for you. It's nice to do new stuff.

    Take care!
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete