Sunday, July 19, 2009

He regresado!

I'm back in Yanacoto! I'm still going to post pictures when I get them, but after another 16 hour ride, I just want you to know that I'm safe! In a week's time, we traveled to five different sites and got to experience so much! Still, I was excited to see my host family again and get back onto a normal schedule.

Some highlights:

We went on a two hour hike to our next site through the sierras....bags and all! I was extremely proud of myself! The Peruvian sierras are gorgeous. Very Jurassic Park scenery...minus the scary dinosaurs.

I survived staying in a 5 soles a night hostel. 5 soles translates into like $1.75 a night. Must I tell you the conditions?! And especially being a (former?) germaphobe! I have learned to do a successful "Amazonian squat" over the toilet. I think there are pictures (of the hostel, not the squat) and I'll post them when they're up.

The entire trip overall. I have so many stories now! I know I sound like a broken record, but I know how lucky I am and how rich my life is here. Many people don't ever get experiences like these and I hope that when I come back to the states, I will be a better person through them.

Some low-lights:

Right after we arrived in San Marcos while lugging all our bags, a boy of about three years old approached us and tried to take our stuff. He looked like he had been living on the streets for quite some time and was drinking from a cup. The worst part was that he appeared to be drunk. It really affected me a lot. We were told that sometimes adults will give their kids alcohol to get them drunk and just because they think it's funny.

Because we were all together for a week, we spoke a week of straight English. When I tried to talk to my host family again today, I sucked major ass.

The 5 soles a night hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment