Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Some pictures...

So, on the left, I posted a picture of how very well protected I am in my room. Because I live apart from my host family and have a room all to myself at the first floor (they live on the second level), here´s how to get into my room. I padlock myself in every night. :)
On the right, is our Peace Corps training center. So nice, right? My house is nothing like that and I´ll post some more pictures next time. But, specifically, the Peace Corps wanted a safe place to host us when we do have classes there.
Peru has some interesting political struggles right now. And it´s weird to be concerned about something else other than celebrity gossip. (But how is Jon and Kate doing?? Updates, people!! And Britney, too? Oh! And maybe Miley..?) Anyways, there is going to be a demonstration in my neighborhood this Thursday, so we don´t have school that day due to danger, accessibility, etc. So I´m just going to lock myself in the room. (And if you don´t hear from me this weekend, then you know it ain´t good.) :(
And as if that wasn´t enough, we had a big lecture on security and safety today. That´s freaked me out, too, of all the things that have happened to volunteers. :( Now ¨constant vigilence!¨ (See ¨Harry Potter¨4) Otherwise, due to my sister´s request, I will post an address later on in case any of you want to send anything. I do accept charity, but it´s not necessary. (So if you don´t send anything, no worries! I´m fed well) My host family enjoyed the candy that I brought for them at the DC airport so much. They have stored it and seem to be slowly savoring it so it doesn´t run out. :)
Otherwise, doing well still! I´ve taken up running and yoga since there isn´t a clean pool around. Yáll would be proud of the dirty but newly fit me! Ciao for now!

1 comment:

  1. Love the photos! Keep them coming!

    Since you asked for gossip, some naked photos of Britney have surfaced of late. Don't know about the source or when they were taken, though. She's toured recently in London. Her concert tickets have not sold so well in London because word got out that her show wasn't all that impressive.

    And I'll disclose some gossip from myself - I went to see Britney in the Circus tour in Las Vegas! Yes - it's true! I was too ashamed to admit it to my family that I would fly out to LV to see her, but I did! If it makes the disclosure any less embarrassing, it wasn't my idea - some of my friends were going, and I just tagged along! And the reviews are right, the show was entertaining, but Britney herself wasn't so impressive. But it was fun.

    And regarding the news in Peru, it seems like BBC online has a good article about what's happening: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8093729.stm. From what I can understand, the government wants to open up a portion of the Peruvian Amazon for oil & gas drilling, which the indigenous people of Peru do not approve. The indigenous have blocked entry into the Amazon, and violence has resulted. What does your family / your town think of this? From looking at a map, you're near Lima (southern Peru), and the Amazon is in northern Peru. Is this is regional conflict that is isolated in the north?

    Some family goings-on. I think Wendy and I are thinking about taking our father fishing. We don't know where we're going yet and when, but that's our plan. I hope he might enjoy that. I haven't seen him since you had left. And also, I was laid off earlier this week, so i am in the process of trying to find a job. Wish me luck!

    your sister Amy

    PS - I am going to send you a sun shower. I think you might get used to taking cold showers after a while, but it might be nice for you to have the option to warm up some water in case you wanted it. Send your address soon.

    ReplyDelete