Monday, June 29, 2009

Need help!

Does anyone have a truly easy, but fabulous cookie recipe? So one of the volunteers made some chocolate chip coconut cookies today and my family went crazy for them. They were sugary and tasty, but quite frankly, hard as a rock! I think we can do better! Cookies here are different (ie not very good and not American style...think gooey chocolate chip). I even taught them to dunk the cookies into milk (evaporated milk, of course, as refrigerated milk doesn´t really exist here).

Anyways, my family doesn´t use the oven because it costs so much in gas for even a one time use. But they were so impressed with the cookies that a. I was sad that I only managed to confiscate 7 of them in my little baggie (Yes, times are tough and I have a family to feed so I snuck as much as I could in my little baggy) and b. They´ll even let me use the oven this one time just to bake some American cookies.

So, no pressure, but does anyone have a good, but easy, cookie recipe? I´ve never been a great cook to know a cookie recipe off the top of my head. Except for fancy things like peanut butter, shortening or lard, I think I should be able to find most things. However, money is tight so I would appreciate a short, but delicious recipe. PLEASE help if you can via comment or e-mail khui1234@hotmail.com. The fate of one Peruvian family´s cookie hunger depends on it. I will then post photos of my creation...if successful.

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I have sent some recipes. The cookie recipe is easy, I hope, and I have also included brownie and egg drop soup recipes. Good luck, sister! If your family has a hand mixer and you can find baking soda easily, let me know! I'll send a real cookie recipe!

    Funny that you have to go half way around the world before becoming motivated to learn how to cook, eh?

    What does your family do? Do the mom and dad run the school? From what you can tell, are they considered wealthy?

    Good luck!
    your sister

    PS - might it be more fun and easier to manage to set up a hot pot for your family? With the cold weather, hot pot might be fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot pot! Totally forgot! Great idea! Except we don't have a portable burner...Damn! My family is definitely poorer here, but departing them with dear and delicious recipes will be my one contribution as a PC volunteer.

    ReplyDelete