Friday, June 12, 2009

I survived the strike!

Ok, it really was nothing really, but they shut most of the roads down just in case. Lima had some troubles, but here in Yanacota, I spent the day hiking, visiting with friends, and baking an Argentinian chocolate cake with my host sister. Life here is just so wholesome. Supposedly, the mountains close to where I live house some hieroglyphics done by ancient Peruvians. One of these days, my host dad is going to take me on a hike to show me where it is.

Some members of the group and I were ¨drinking¨ today after class (ie one sip of beer for me). We were reminiscing about home. We have been here for one week now, but it seems so much longer. Someone mentioned Olive Garden today, and I can´t believe that I will not have Olive Garden for two years! I think the realization is beginning to seep in that we have 26 3/4 mos here still. I´m enjoying my time here, but my goodness, that seems like such a long time!

I am beginning to develop a personality in Spanish. Before I was able to just say the basics like, ¨I´m hungry!¨ Ï´m thirsty!¨ etc. Now, Í´m starting to joke in Spanish and catching up on my Peruvian celebrity gossip. (See President Alan Garcia and affair with illegitimate 7 year old child.) It´s exciting to see progress and I study daily.

Some people here are fascinated by my ¨look.¨ I guess I look different than other Peruvian Asians? They stare at me and ask me all the time if I´ve ever used chopsticks. So far, I have not been able to find a single pair in Peru. I wrote some things in Chinese for my host family and they think it´s just great! They´re keeping the note paper.

Anyways, I send my best wishes to everyone. I try to keep up with the US news as well and was saddened to hear about the shooting in DC. Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment