Monday, January 4, 2010

Feliz Navidad 2009!

So I figure that I should post my holiday pictures already from my first Christmas in Cajabamba.

In Peru, we celebrate Noche Buena or Christmas Eve and the families eat dinner at midnight to ring in Christmas. (Then on the actual Christmas day, we just rest up.) For my first Christmas meal in Peru, my host mother made homemade apple sauce, beet salad, hot chocolate, and roasted chicken. There were also an assortment of pastries and panetone. Panetone is like a fruit bread that you see in the pictures. It’s fatty, they cut it in huge chunks that you eat with butter…and oh so heavenly!!!

Later on that weekend, I went down to the capitol city to celebrate with some of the other volunteers. We cooked and, look, I even made some homemade Pigs in a Blanket without the help of the Pillsbury Doughboy!
My family also made a mini nativity scene (as is the tradition) in Peru. So I got to be the “Madrastra” this Christmas and put Baby Jesus in its crib.











No comments:

Post a Comment