Monday, January 4, 2010

Vacacion por Ano Nuevo 2010: Huaraz I

I just got back from my New Year’s vacation from Huaraz, Ancash to visit some other volunteers. It was about a 17 hour bus ride there, but it was amazing!

For those of you who are wondering what a long bus ride is like in Peru, it’s actually not bad. For the most part, we book the most expensive buses that exist in Peru. So we’ll generally get on the bus around dinner time, watch a movie over dinner and drinks (non-alcoholic…derr…because we don’t need a drunken bus driver driving along the Peruvian mountainsides), and then we’ll recline our seats and go to sleep. We wake up to a sandwich breakfast and more non-alcoholic drinks, and then we’re pretty much at our destination. Easy, right? I generally sleep like a rock on buses…none of the usual roosters, donkeys, sheeps, bulls, farmers to wake me up. But if you book the cheaper buses, it’s generally not as comfortable, no reclining seats, bathroom breaks at absurd hours of the night (since the cheap buses do not have a built in bathrooms), and, yes, there might be roosters on board to wake you up.

Oh! And I also do not recommend making bets with others to see who can withstand to not go to the bathroom for the entire duration of the bus ride. Yes, you get extreme bragging rights but the damage to your bladder is everlasting. Read on…

Anyways, I have a ton of pictures from New Year 2010 so I’ll try to break them up…

No comments:

Post a Comment