Thursday, October 29, 2009

Gusanos

It's official: I can't get rid of my stomach problems. Speaking of the little devils last week, it's happened...I have worms! I know I shouldn't be excited about not being able to get rid of my constant stomach problems and the symptoms weren't all that comfortable (in fact, although I have a tendency to overshare at times, this is one of those times where I will keep to myself on how I found out), but back when I was a young lad in the US with dreams of being a Peace Corps volunteer running through my head, I just thought that that was what a PC volunteer was: Saving the world and getting worms. So...I'm halfway there to really being a PC volunteer! One down and one more to go. The PC doctor (whom I'm sure is sick of hearing from me by now) has already called in a prescription for me that I can go and pick up whenever I go into the city next.

The worms unfortunately weren't "big" enough of a problem to make me lose weight or win the 50 soles bet (Hmph!)--ie biggest worm out of your body gets 50 soles. However, it did cause me to eat like a Hellion and, in Peru, this is bad because my host family can't afford to feed two Katies. So I'm going to get the problem fixed ASAP. Oh! I don't have a picture of my wormies, but I did find something on the internet for y'all's enjoyment while you're eating lunch. This is an idea of what my gusano looks like. Bon appetit!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! I heard on NPR that hookworms actually cure allergies. Well, it was a much longer story then just that, but very interesting. I think these hookworms are different from the kind you have though. Hookworms are contracted from walking in human poop, well, next to human poop anyway. They can travel 5 - 10 feet from the actual poop looking for soft tender feet to "hook" onto. Anyway. Congratulations on contracting the iconic peace corp parasite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIKES!! Get better soon! Getting worms sounds terrible! Actually, how do you get them? From eating something with worms in it? Yikes! Is the water youre drinking clean?

    Oh man!
    Thinking good thoughts for you.
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll tell you how I got them in private. We, volunteers, went through 3 months of training just for me to tell you how I got them exactly. It isn't pretty.

    ReplyDelete