Saturday, October 10, 2009

Los castillos no son mis amigos

Last night was a night of fireworks, more beer, and more dancing on the streets. Let me just take a moment to emphasize that fireworks are not my friends here! They could not be more dangerous! After everytime, I'm always relieved that my eyeballs are still intact.
The fireworks here are strapped onto a wooden pole and after they're lit with someone's cigarette butt, they go twirling around at full speed while people stand right below it.





Now I'm smart, I close my eyes and try to have a human shield in front of me at all times. But last night was not a success, the darn thing landed on my bare foot and then I had a heck of a time trying to douse it out.
Meanwhile, my host mother, sweet little lady that she is, always try to push me forward to see them so that I don't miss the action. Well, after almost coming home with only one foot, she became my personal Operation Human Shield. Luckily for her though, both her feet are still intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment