Saturday, November 7, 2009

Un Camino de Fe

So each year people from around this area take their "Walk of Faith." It happens one day only at a certain church located in a small community called Marcabati. For my family, this four hour walk begins every year at 3 a.m. and lasts until 7 a.m. It includes walking over valleys and streams just so you can make your religious offering. So, this year, I decided to join in on the fun and made my first Walk of Faith!!! I woke up at 2:30 a.m., dressed warmly, and grabbed my "Jesus stick" to start my flashlight lid hike. (I'm not sure what the Jesus stick was for except that I saw my host siblings and host dad whacking each other a lot with it.)

I was so proud of myself, firstly, for waking up that early and, second, I made it without falling or a complaint (even though it was really long and my calves are now killing me, but anyways...) I'm not sure if I felt more "faithful" afterwards though. Mostly, I just focused on not falling over a cliff in the dark so that I didn't have time to think about anything else.

But regardless, for the large part, I've avoided participating in any type of Catholic activities with my family within the church so I thought this would be a good way for us to spend some time together. Or at least I tried anyways.... We got to the church a little after 7 a.m. and I was so exhausted that I fell asleep right on the church bench. And it isn't a good sleep unless you drool a little of course...he he. I woke up to my host brother jabbing at me and two of my students looking and laughing at me. I swear! Is it just me or has Peru made me less refined?

1 comment: