Friday, October 23, 2009

La epoca de lluvia

It's rainy season here...and it's horrible! Everyday there is rain for an hour or two at anytime during the day or night. It reminds me of the rain on "Lost" (sorry, nerd reference). All of a sudden the sky just opens up and all hell breaks loose. When it isn't raining, then the weather is downright dreary and cold here--40's and 50's and damp. The picture here is of laundry day. Literally I just finished my wash when the rain just doused on everything I had just wrung out by hand.

Unfortunately, window panes are expensive so the wind just blows in all the time. (The worst is when you're showering.) We've talked about getting plastic for the windows, but I think my family is used to it so I'm doing my best to adjust, too. (And to not think of heaters or fireplaces or hot apple cider...Um...)

The good news is that I'm healthy again! Thank you for all the good wishes. Whatever it was, it was horrible and had me double over in pain for two days. Finally, the Peace Corps doctor prescribed some meds to me and everything ended well. I was kind of disappointed that nothing interesting came out though. We actually have a bet in the Peace Corps. Whoever poops out and sends in the biggest worm gets 50 soles! (And that money does come in handy here!) I know it's kind of gross and you're probably doing your best to keep your breakfast down, but the reality is that most of us will get worms during our service. And, if so, why not make a little money out of it? Well, I still have two more months until the year's up, but so far, nothing interesting yet. :(

More pleasant news is that listenership on the radio show has been picking up and I was offered more on-air time. (I declined, because this isn't my goal here in the Peace Corps. Yes, I still have dreams of making a difference blah blah blah.) But it's exciting nevertheless and it's helped me in my Spanish, too. My host family listens to it together and one of the other volunteers actually heard it while he was on a bus! Yay for Ka-tee on Radio Jhasiel noventa cuatro punto nueve....

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Glad you're better. It's no fun to be sick. As always - it's GREAT to see your photos. I know that digital cameras use a lot of batteries - are you having trouble finding batteries where you are? Wait - I recall you brought rechargeables with you, and I trust you're able to do that?

    You know what might be a fun blog post - an account of what you get to eat on a routine basis! It would be fun for me, I'm curious as to what you're eating with your family.

    On the home front, we went out to dinner to celebrate your brother turning 22 (?) this year. He's making off like a bandit! Your father got him a new Scion car, and he requested an i-Pod from Wendy and me (we'll put your name on that too). Is there anything you need?

    We're celebrating your grandmother's 80th bday next weekend by going to dim sum. It also happens to be Halloween! Do you think you'll try to teach your students about the grand tradition of dressing up here? Maybe you can make some fun Fandango-esque masks with the kids and show those photos on your blog next week?

    As for Mark and me, we and some friends are going out in the under the sea theme. We're going as fish and crab, and some friends are going as lobster and jelly fish. It should be fun.

    Glad to hear you're well!
    Your sister

    ReplyDelete