Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Feliz Cumpleano, Senor Alcalde!

Let me start or end your day with a laugh (or a cry still from me). So the other night, I was invited to this grand party thrown in celebration of the mayor's birthday. Now let me assure you that not any riff-raffs were allowed in; only leaders and government mover and shakers. (People with whom I want to rub elbows with should I want to make things happen later on.)

Everything was going swimmingly until someone had the brilliant idea that I should help out with the cake serving. No big deal, right? That is until you take in the following factors: (1) It was dark and (2) there was a big ol' ditch in between the tables that I failed to see. So what happened next? Of course, I just happened to be holding a tray full of cake slices when I tripped over the damn ditch, yelled out a really ungraceful "WOOAAHH!!" which caught everyone's attention, then fell sprawed out onto the ground, with cakes landing all on one side of my face.

To add insult to injury, this spectacular fall was made right in front of the Mayor (yeah, Feliz Cumpleano a ti) and, as it was, there already wasn't enough cake for everyone.

No, I didn't cry...but instead hid in the next room. :( And even if I wanted to forget about the incident, I wasn't able to. As the people got drunker, they thought it would be a good idea to re-cap my fall for me right down to the "WOOAAHH!!" (Someone even told me that it was too bad they didn't have their video camera for You Tube!!!) So for the rest of the night, I relived it visually and verbally for gaw knows how many times.

That was my first--and, no doubt, last--invite to a government party.

1 comment:

  1. LIsten, this is a GREAT opportunity to convert a mishap to glory for yourself! Sounds to me like you should bake a cake for the mayor (maybe a large one so that he can share with his cronies) - and take it over to him. And in so doing, you should catch his ear about your plans in Peace Corp, and make it known to him that you're more than just an idiot who can't serve cake! This is perfect! Then he'll get to know you, and will think, "Wow, how thoughtful of Katie to come by! I sure would like to help her in the future." Bada bing!

    I looked up some cake recipes that would be easy (i.e., does not involve mixing butter and sugar - sometimes a cumbersome task if you don't have an electric mixer).

    http://www.kaboose.com/features/holiday/recipe.html?id=17

    You'll be a hit! Thanks for sharing your not so shining moments with your blog-o-sphere. Your fans appreciate it!

    Your sister

    PS - it's the fall lunar holiday around here. Wendy is going to have dinner with your father. I think I am going to be out of town though. I did take today off from work because I traveled earlier this week and was pretty wiped out. So having lunch with Sayee, Uncle WK, your sister today. Should be fun.

    Mark and I are going to Castle Rock this weekend to celebrate Oktoberfest. It's fall here, and it's been pretty chilly here. That reminds me - how are you doing on clothing? Do you have enough warm clothes?

    When you get a chance, can you blog about what your job is like - how many students you teach, what their ages are, etc?

    Hope you're well! Don't sweat it about the cake. Turn this mishap into opportunity!!!

    Your sister

    ReplyDelete