Saturday, September 19, 2009

Dos cosas...

So two things about this week:

1. I experienced the homesickness that everyone had warn you about. It was like I was happy to be in Peru, but something just always felt missing. So I tried to be hardcore and get over it. But in the end I had over an hour long conversation with my father and felt better. Still miss a lot of things, but that´s to be expected, especially since this is now the longest that I´ve been away from home.

2. One of the local radio stations interviewed me this week and my interview made it on air! There´s a videoclip somewhere, too. But anyways...After my 15 minutes claim to fame, I was offered my own radio show. Yep, you heard right. I do a little bit of this, little of that, throw in some English words here and there, and the youth of Cajabamba is also able to call in and ask for advice (think Delilah on KOSI 101!). Ok, stop laughing, you guys. (The advice thing actually wasn´t my idea.) Anyways, you can hear me every Monday, Wednesday and Friday after school and if I´m popular enough, maybe all five days of the week. The owner of the radio station thought I would be a good personality on air and that I had a beautiful voice. Hee hee hee.

This reminds me of a story. When I was in China, there was this Canadian dork who lived in China and who fashioned himself as ¨The Dragon.¨ Not that he was anything special, because he wasn´t--tall and lanky with glasses--but his claim to fame was that he was able to speak Mandarin perfectly. Thus, there came movie roles, interviews, CDs, etc. Eventually, he accrued so much wealth that he is now like the pimp of China with a wealth of women and everyone knows him by name.

So I´m thinking that maybe I´ll fashion myself as the ¨Burro¨and life will all be good for me here, too. Hope you guys are doing well in the states.

P.S. Since our father is leaving soon, please make sure to pack him a ¨snack pack¨before he gets on the plane. Otherwise, he might get hungry. :( Nothing too sugary nor salty.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the radio post! See if you can't get it to stream online. I have NO idea how to do that, but see if you can't figure it out...in Spanish!

    Sorry you're missing home, I guess there isn't a lot that we can do to alleviate that. It's part of the leaving home for a while experience.

    Your brother's birthday is coming up. We're have a piece of cake in your honor!!

    Take care,
    Your sister

    PS - please let me know what you're wanting help with on your soup kitchen!!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete