Friday, September 4, 2009

Cosas que me averguenza

So here's how much I like tea: My new host family used to just keep several teabags around the house, but ever since I moved in and drank every one of their packets, they mounted a 100 teabag contraption on the wall "so that I can have tea whenever I want." Sadly, I've only seen these things at the stores; people buy tea here just by the individual packets.

Yesterday I also handwashed all my own clothes. Quite an accomplishment considering I spent the whole day on it! :( (How do these Peruvian women do it in a mere hour??!) When it was all done, I counted that I had a whopping 17 pairs of undies all lined up in a roll. (I was going to take a picture of the line of undies, but I thought it might be a little gross.) Well, at least my host family knows that I change my undies daily, but we could really do with a good dryer around here. (Good fundraising project for any of you.) I'm going to start investigating into the flip-inside-out method. (I can hear you all judging me already, but hey, this is the Peace Corps!)

Last update is that I took on another project...I'll also be teaching at the local institute here on youth development. This is a good project, because finally, some people close to my age! Maybe I'll make friends!

P.S. Yesterday I went on a hike, got lost in the Peruvian sierra for an hour, and the only thought that comforted me was an advertisement for Mini Drumsticks (the ice cream cone, not chicken) that I saw in "People" magazine. (Another volunteer had the magazine sent to her from the states.) All that crunchy chocolatey goodness with sweet creamy vanilla ice cream...Thank you, Nestle, for keeping me alive in my hour of need.

1 comment:

  1. Hello!! How are you? Glad to see your posts, as always. It's Labor Day weekend over here. Yee haw! Guess what Mark and I are going to do - we are planning on biking down to Pueblo to check out the Colorado State Fair! We're planning our route, and getting ready for an early start tomorrow morning. Should be fun!

    Actually - to celebrate Labor Day, and a long week thus far, I took today off! Yay! Sleeping in until 10 am was pretty nice. And then I biked into downtown and had lunch with a friend, and worked on my Hawaii scrap book. Going to yoga afterwards was nice.

    I hope you do get to start work soon - it's always nice to have a routine. Speaking of that - what are you eating? What's the weather like, and do you have a significant growing season? Are you interested in gardening so you can grow some vegetables that you're missing? Do you live some place where there is a lot of agriculture? I've heard that the Peruvians are very proud of their potatoes. I've head that it's the first place where potatoes were cultivated, and there is supposedly a potato museum somewhere. In any case, gardening might be a nice way to bond with locals. Let me know if I should send you some seeds, etc.

    Aside from a dryer - how are you doing? We did send you some pants, but I'm guessing that the greater than 1 pound weight is causing some delays. Ho hum - hope you get your package soon. Do you need anything else?

    Your sister.

    ReplyDelete