Sunday, April 11, 2010

una semana santa inolvidable

here´s what i wrote to my sisters last thursday re: an incident that happened the day b/f:

¨i am typing w/ 1 hand so this will be short. i'm ok, but i'm in the hospital and i'll write more another time. anyways, we are here in lima for training and i was visiting my 1st host family after our mtg got done. dogs in poor communities are a lot worst at night and about five dogss started charging at me, growling and ready to attack while i was walking up the hill in the community. i had already thrown all three of my rocks so i started to back away`and onto the roof of a house. (there was nowhere else to go.) poor communities are generally built on hills with whatever material they can find and the roof of the house was made of cheap metal and on level with the ground that i was standing on. when i backed onto the roof, it collapsed and i ended up free-falling (really more like belly flopping) into a cement courtyard behind someone's house. my right forearm was in the shape of a 'v' and my wrist just hung.

afterwards, there was a lot of drama/chaos. the family whose house i landed in came running out after i started screaming for help in spanish. eventually made it to a public hospital on the back of a truck that the firemen used. but later, peace corps sent me to a much better hospital which is where i'm at now.¨

since then, i have had surgery on my arm b/c my right forearm is fractured in 2 places and the bone popped out of my skin in 1 of them. it was my first surgery ever...and in peru no less. tomorrow i will get my right leg checked out since i still have trouble walking but i really hope it´s nothing.

no worries, it's not as bad as it sounds. i'm fine and in good spirits overall and i'll probably stay in lima for a few days to re-coop. vacay! peace corps has taken good care of me. my phone is still broken (told you i had bad juju) and i only borrowed this computer. but, overall, i feel lucky to be a-ok. don't tell our father; he'll only worry so i'll tell him later.

hope you guys are doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment