Tuesday, April 27, 2010

mi vida con el yeso

my life with a cast. it's been 20 days since the accident and i'm still not used to it. the first days were horrible. i woke up in the hospital one night to find left arm tryng to push right arm off my ribs. of course it didn't work b/c it was in a sling. now i've learned to sleep through the night with it.

i've also started to take up some light exercise as a mean to loosen up the hip. nothing major. i'm an old woman now so just a little something to ease up the pain.

the peruvians react to my cast by gawking at me even more and those who do approach me shake my cast as if for good luck or something. it doesn't hurt, but it's just odd.

i start physical therapy right after my cast gets taken off in june. i tried to look up over the internet what type of rehab i would be faced with but instead came across all these stories of people who've died from falling through roofs. that really shook me up, b/c as much as i hate life in a cast, i know that i'm really, really lucky. (seriously, did all this really happen to me? everytime i tell the story, it still makes me want to laugh over its absurdity or weep with relief.)

on a side note, i formed my soup kitchen committee today w/ my community partners. first meeting, this saturday and i have so much to do to prepare for it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie-Was just thinking of you and thought I'd check in on your blog. Holy cannoli! I can't believe you fell through a roof. I am so glad that you are okay! I'll be thinking of you and hoping that you heal fully and quickly. All the best from Wyoming. Today is the first day of finals for the law students. Aren't you glad to be done with all that? :) - Anetra.

    ReplyDelete