Sunday, October 3, 2010

La Eleccion



Today is Election Day in Peru. Unlike the US, people here are mandated to vote once they turn 18 (or else bad things happen to them). We are electing our new local government officials (not national). The presidential election is next year, but in the meantime, a truckload of military men arrived the other day with their sub machine guns guarding every election post. (It could just be me, but I think Peru handles their election process differently.) Everyone from the smaller campo towns have all descended into my town as all the voting posts are here. They arrived yesterday and slept on the streets if they had nowhere else to go. Sad face. But the election will be over in a few more hours and then it will be party time with beer and homemade chicha liquor! Happy face!

Also, my town´s fiesta starts this month. (Yep, more booze.) It´s such a reminder that a year ago, I had just gotten here and at that time, all I could think about was going home. This place held nothing familiar—neither food, people, nor culture. A year later and it´s almost nostalgic being here. I can´t believe that time is going by so fast. I just want it to stop so that I can enjoy the food, people, and culture before I have to go home next year. Sorry, I am a real sap right now so I´ll stop this chatter.

No comments:

Post a Comment