Monday, August 23, 2010

El arco iris y los perritos

This is an e-mail I sent to my family and friends a few days ago:

"Well, I just wanted to say hi...and to tell you all some good news. As of yesterday, my project to start a local soup kitchen for the girls at a local high school was approved by the governor and local municipality office. That doesn´t mean that the project will be up and running; we still have a lot of fundraising and soliciting to do! (No worries, I´m not asking you fine folks for help.) But for the first time, I´m optimistic that this project might actually have a chance.

If all does go well, then approximately 250 students (most of whom work/go to school, live far away in the campo, do not have access to good financial resources) will be able to pay 1 sol (.33 cents) for their lunch meal that will consist of approximately 750-925 calories of healthy carbohydrates, protein, fat, a fruit, and a glass of milk. (I have been working with a nutritionist for the exact measurements.) My committee consisting of the school director, 2 professors, advisor to the Governor´s office, me, and the nutritionist have gotten quite a few things together to make this happen. Our budget is currently at 50,000 soles (USD $17,000) + 7,000 soles (USD $2500) monthly (mostly for cooking gas, firewood, and food). So even though I don´t know what will happen tomorrow, today I´m in a celebratory mood. :) When I go into town tomorrow, I might even splurge on a 10 soles meal for myself instead of the usual 3! Yep. :)

Otherwise, things are going well in Peace Corps Peru. I still actively keep up on my blog, http://peacecorpskatiekit.blogspot.com (with about 625 hits so far...so popular) and for one fleeting second last week, I even thought about extendng my service to a third year...but then I came back down to earth. My year as a Peace Corps volunteer has been amazing. Some highlights so far: Serving as this town´s judge for everything, including judging the best guinea pig dish competition (and, surprisingly, not throwing up afterwards even after eating almost 20 different types of guinea pigs); meeting other volunteers who dedicate themselves daily to make things better, sometimes at the expense of themselves; falling in love with the Spanish language (even when I´ve made some gaw awful mistakes...never, ever translate ¨Saving Private Ryan¨ literally); being able to bargain for my fruits and vegetables so that I can get 100 avocados for 5 soles (USD $1.75)...um hmm, I´m a stud; and seeing a town come together with good intentions. Yep, I am just full of sunshine and puppies right now!

The biggest Debbie Downer really has been the homesickness. (I spent last Christmas secretly crying in my room since we don´t really celebrate it here.)...Oh, and of course, the people (probably includes you), the food (right now, Lender´s frozen blueberry bagels and strawberry cream cheese), and my car (Dan, Amy, Wendy, please continue to shield her from rain, hail, and heavy snow). But more often than not, I find myself doing fine and spiffy!

Anyways, I just wanted to say ¨hi¨ to y´all. I hope that your time in the states (or wherever you are) finds you doing just as well, if not better (sunshine and puppies). Please be well.

Katie"

No comments:

Post a Comment