Saturday, February 19, 2011

¡Seré tía!

I should probably mention that I´m going to be an aunt to a baby girl!!! Can you tell that I´m super excited??! The hardest part about this whole Peace Corps thing is the homesickness...food, people, culture. By the time I go home in July after 2 years of service, both my sisters will have been married, I will be meeting my new niece/nephew for the first time, and almost everyone in my family will have switched out their cars. (What can I say? We, Huis, are bad drivers!)

The other day, I found a quarter, dime, and nickel by accident at the bottom of my bag. After not seeing something so simple for so long, it almost brought me to tears. Really, the joys that remind me of the USA are so simple. Sometimes, I sneak into my room just to eat a few pretzel M & Ms that I have stored away (Thank you, Christmas package, those little M & Ms rock!) and I swear, my day is so much brighter afterwards! (I know I should be sharing my US treats, but really it´s better this way. My host family won´t miss won´t they´ve never had. So I´m saving them from any future cravings that will not be satisfied by any Peruvian candy.)

So, now, it gets me thinking that when I go home to the states, I´ll miss so much from Peru! And that thought itself is even more heartbreaking, because I know that I probably won´t be back to Peru for quite some time. Yeesh, life is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment