Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lo Logramos!

Here it is, everyone! What you are viewing is an important document that even spelled my name correctly (so you know it´s legit). Loosely, it translates to, ¨…to cordially make known that in Advisory Session No. 019-2010, held on the 7 of October 2010, that the project of Comedor Estudiantil, presented by Katie K. Hui, Peace Corps volunteer of the Youth Development program, was approved, approving as such the plan of administration and budget…¨

Run-on sentence aside, what it means is that my team and I did it!! Cajabamba, Peru will have its first soup kitchen for students next April when school resumes in Peru! It´s what I´ve been working on for the past year and it makes me so happy that the people in my town really came through on this project. I felt so grown-up yesterday as I got to sign the important document yesterday at the municipality in front of everyone! (I couldn´t stop smiling although I tried so hard to look serious, ie constipated.)

What´s next for us is that I´m going down to my capital city this week to meet with other potential donors. Right now, the soup kitchen only has the capacity to cater to the students at one school. However, if we were to have sufficient space for, say 100s of students, we could potentially cater to the students at other schools. I will hold my breath though. The cost of the construction will require about S/. 111,000 (USD $38,000), which is a lot for any country´s standards. But all I can do is try!

So ignore my previous post. Maybe the s--- will hit the fan tomorrow and something will go wrong (gaw, I hope not), but as of today, I am loving the Municipality of Cajabamba!

No comments:

Post a Comment